One of the most interesting questions I heard asked at the New England Museum Association conference last week was, what’s the new non-profit normal?Â Â There was a sense that both retrenching and rethinking are in order, but that steering museums through these turbulent times will produce changes that will last far beyond the economic crisis and our eventual recovery.
The new director of Affliate Plimoth Plantation (Plymouth, MA), offered one such road map.Â It’s hyper-attentive visitor experience, and a zero tolerance for unsatisfactory comments.Â One of the results of recent visitor surveys at Plimoth revealed that 93% of their visitors report a very satisfactory experience.Â Pretty good right?!Â Except for director Ellie Donovan, a missionary for high-quality visitor experience in every regard.Â She recognizes that the other 7% represent 25,000 people who are not shopping in the store for things to remember a bad experience, and are not saying nice things to their friends.Â In short, that 7% represent thousands of dollars of potentially lost revenue, that no museum or historical site can stand to lose.Â A powerful argument.Â Â Â Â
The keynote speaker at NEMA made a nuanced plea for new non-profit normal too, that is, how museums need to step up to their role as builders of social capital in a community.Â Social capital is a metric, measured by community and state by such statistics as the number of active voters, volunteerism, crime rates, even TV-watching rates (a negative indicator).Â Unsurprisingly, his research has shown that, the higher the social capital, the higher are other rates of happiness indicators – education achievement, lower incarceration rates, etc.Â Lewis Feldstein, President of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, challenged all the museum professionals present to ask themselves how their organizations are building social capital.Â Do new immigrants come to your museum to learn about the community’s history or cultural activity?Â Do local civic groups call you to use your facilities for meetings?Â Is your staff serving on community boards, active and visible members of civic life in your city?Â All (and more) are important questions for establishing the relevancy of museums to the contexts of their communities.
But not all the discussions at the conference were that deep and soul-searching.Â I was lucky to see Black Holes: Space Warps and Time Twists, an exhibition organized by the Smithsonian’s Astrophysical Observatory, at the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center in Concord, NH.Â (Ok, how many knew that Christa McAuliffe was a high school social studies teacher from Concord, NH High School?Â Or that the quote, “I touch the future, I teach,” was hers?!)Â It was a wonderfully interactive exhibit with a variety of media stations that allow the visitor to weigh black holes and dive into them, among other activities.Â Â Â And I met the young enthusiastic safari-clad staff of scvngr – a do-it-yourself interface template for creating location-based, high-tech, mobile games.Â So very fun.
Overall, a very pleasant, thought-provoking week in New England.Â How about you – what’s the chatter at your regional association or museum?