Smithsonian Affiliates enjoy these unique benefits:
- A Dedicated Team—The Smithsonian is a big organization; Smithsonian Affiliations helps you navigate it. Affiliations staff connects Affiliates with resources and opportunities tailored to their needs.
- National Promotion—Affiliates have exclusive co-branding opportunities. Only Affiliates may use the Smithsonian Affiliate logo and tagline: “in association with the Smithsonian Institution.” Affiliates and their collaborations are promoted online, through printed publications, and social media.
- Membership Benefits—Affiliates have the unique opportunity to add an immediate value to the partnership by offering discounted Smithsonian membership to their members. This “two-memberships-in-one” benefit is offered exclusively to Affiliates. Affiliate Reciprocal Membership Benefits are also available, connecting members at participating Affiliates to the broader Affiliate network.
- Smithsonian Programs and Exhibitions—Affiliations staff works to find unique exhibition opportunities for Affiliates and connects Affiliates to Smithsonian scholars, scientists, educators, and authors to lead lectures, workshops, distance learning programs, professional development, and more in Affiliate communities. Affiliates also have exclusive access to screen—at no charge—select films produced by the Smithsonian Channel.
- Collaborative Funding— Affiliates have periodic opportunities to participate in grant-funded partnerships for research and education programs. The Affiliations office actively seeks out grant funding that enables us to award modest financial support to Affiliates to work with the Smithsonian on specific education programs, typically connected to pan-Institutional priorities. In the past year, we have awarded more than $250,000 to 40+ Affiliates to conduct or participate in programs in collaboration with Smithsonian colleagues on diverse topics such as astrophotography, woman suffrage, climate change, the Puerto Rican diaspora, paleontology and evolution, and creating digital access to collections.
- Professional Development— Affiliates enjoy robust professional development opportunities. The annual Smithsonian Affiliations National Conference offers networking, inspiring sessions, and access to Smithsonian and Affiliate colleagues. The Smithsonian Affiliations Visiting Professionals program is offered periodically and offers selected candidates a stipend to develop their professional skills during an immersive, hands-on experience at the Smithsonian.
- Object Loan Assistance—Please note that Affiliation does not guarantee preference in borrowing objects; each Smithsonian museum makes its own decisions on loans based on their specific policies. While Affiliations staff can help to navigate the loan process, decisions about loans lie exclusively with the lending museum.
- Special Access—Affiliates may request consultation to facilitate sharing expertise, exhibits, and more. Affiliations staff coordinates behind-the-scenes tours and special access for Affiliate staff and stakeholders.
Save our African American Treasures, a program from the National Museum of African American History and Culture, traveled to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute (Birmingham, AL).