Smithsonian Affiliate Membership Program
Current Smithsonian Affiliates may offer their members an annual Smithsonian Affiliate Membership as part of their organization’s basic or premium membership package.
Two Memberships in One – “Affiliate members” receive the organization’s benefits PLUS a national membership from the Smithsonian.
What are the benefits of offering Smithsonian Affiliate Membership to our members?
Smithsonian level members enjoy the benefits of the local Affiliate PLUS an annual Smithsonian membership, which includes:
- Effective January 2022, all Smithsonian Affiliate members will receive the Smithsonian magazine (one year subscription, 12 issues) along with a monthly digital VIP Smithsonian Newsletter. Effective December 1, 2021, the Air & Space magazine subscription will no longer be offered.
- A personalized Smithsonian Affiliate membership card
- Free admission to the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York, NY
- 10% discounts on café dining at Smithsonian Museum’s in DC
- 10% discount on all Smithsonian Folkways Recordings
- 10% discount on all IMAX and Planetarium tickets at the Smithsonian
- Reciprocal Admission/Discount benefits at participating Smithsonian Affiliates
- Additional Smithsonian benefits can be found on Smithsonian.com. Benefits on Smithsonian.com are subject to change.
How does the program work?
The Smithsonian Affiliate Membership program is typically included as part of an Affiliate’s basic or premium membership package. Smithsonian level members enjoy the dual benefits of your organization’s program as well as an annual Smithsonian membership.
How it works:
- $12.00 is the Affiliate cost of this benefit per member. This is the lowest offered membership rate from the Smithsonian. The general public pays a much higher rate for similar types of Smithsonian benefits. (The newsstand price for a one year subscription to Smithsonian Magazine is $48; the Smithsonian National Associate membership – $27).
- Smithsonian Affiliations encourages participants to sell the Smithsonian membership benefit at a rate higher than the $12 cost for a profit margin.
- Comprehensive Plan – The most successful way of facilitating this additional membership is to integrate this into the full membership base, however it can be offered it in a variety of combinations and levels.
- Upon the receipt of your members’ names and payment, Smithsonian Magazine will generate member magazine subscriptions and membership cards in 4 – 6 weeks. Members will also be mailed Smithsonian Journeys Travel Adventure study tour information and the Smithsonian retail catalogue.
- The Smithsonian will not solicit renewal of your Smithsonian Affiliate members or sell member information to a third party.
- While Affiliate organizations may extend discounts to visiting Smithsonian Affiliate Members from other Affiliate museums and organizations, reciprocity is not required. Affiliates may determine their own policies with regard to visiting Smithsonian Institution Members (these are in the categories of Smithsonian National Associate, Smithsonian Resident Associate, or Friends of the Smithsonian).
An optional, added benefit is the Smithsonian Reciprocal Membership Program which is available to all participating Affiliates.
How is payment processed?
Smithsonian Affiliations payment processing is operated and provided by SFG.
Smithsonian Affiliate Membership Payment Portal is currently undergoing transition and being redeveloped. A new payment portal is under construction due to a vendor transition and will be available sometime this fall.
For processing your Smithsonian Affiliate Memberships order, please contact Murielle Dougherty in customer service at 903-636-0678 or Murielle_Dougherty@sfgnetwork.com. Nicole Thompson can be reached at 212-916-1343 or ThompsonNi@si.edu as a secondary contact for order placement.
For any questions regarding the Smithsonian Affiliate Membership Program, please contact Natalie Wimberly at Affiliatemember@si.edu
Thank you for your patience during this transition and we apologize again for any inconvenience this may cause.
New member enrollments and annual renewals can still be processed while the new portal is being developed. Please consult the Submitting Orders and Payments guide for more information and download this Portal Conversion template.
How do I market and promote membership?
The Smithsonian Affiliate membership logo is required to market and promote your participation as an Affiliate offering the Smithsonian Affiliate membership. It signals to your members that they are becoming a Smithsonian member. Logos should be used on site and on all membership marketing materials.
The Affiliate Membership Toolkit includes tips on marketing to your organizational members.
As with all Smithsonian printed materials, the use of the Smithsonian name and logo must be approved in advance. Logos are available from the Smithsonian Affiliations office. Copies of membership materials for review should go to Affiliatemember@si.edu.