- $12.00 is the Affiliate cost of this benefit per member. This is the lowest offered membership rate from the Smithsonian. The general public pays a much higher rate for similar types of Smithsonian benefits. (The newsstand price for a one year subscription to Smithsonian Magazine is $48; the Smithsonian National Associate membership – $27).
- Smithsonian Affiliations encourages participants to sell the Smithsonian membership benefit at a rate higher than the $12 cost for a profit margin.
- Comprehensive Plan – The most successful way of facilitating this additional membership is to integrate this into the full membership base, however it can be offered it in a variety of combinations and levels.
- Upon the receipt of your members’ names and payment, Smithsonian Magazine will generate member magazine subscriptions and membership cards in 4 – 6 weeks. Members will also be mailed Smithsonian Journeys Travel Adventure study tour information and the Smithsonian retail catalogue.
- The Smithsonian will not solicit renewal of your Smithsonian Affiliate members or sell member information to a third party.
- While Affiliate organizations may extend discounts to visiting Smithsonian Affiliate Members from other Affiliate museums and organizations, reciprocity is not required. Affiliates may determine their own policies with regard to visiting Smithsonian Institution Members (these are in the categories of Smithsonian National Associate, Smithsonian Resident Associate, or Friends of the Smithsonian).
(Optional: Smithsonian Reciprocal Membership Program is available to all participating Affiliates)