Smithsonian Affiliations is a national outreach program that develops long-term, high quality partnerships with museums, educational, and cultural organizations to enrich communities with Smithsonian resources. Partnerships within the Smithsonian Affiliate network create lasting experiences that educate, inspire, and broaden perspectives on science, history, world culture and the arts.
Through the combined talents of our staff and the strength of our network, we reach tens of millions of museum visitors each year in communities across America, and many times more in classrooms and online with engaging and innovative learning opportunities. By sharing our resources — our people, our collections, and our ideas– we create a greater impact on those we serve.
Smithsonian collaborations include:
- Special traveling exhibitions
- Artifact loans that augment an Affiliate’s exhibition or permanent collection
- Unique, grant-funded youth programs such as Youth Capture the Colorful Cosmos and Young Historians, Living Histories
- Public lectures by Smithsonian scholars on topics ranging from the Hope Diamond to Mars Rovers
- Special collecting initiatives like Saving Our African American Treasures and Latinos and Baseball: In the Barrios and the Big Leagues
Our dream is as big as the Smithsonian and all of our partners– to change lives by expanding the boundaries of knowledge, to make our work, our collections, and our ideas more widely accessible, and to touch the hearts and minds of everyone everywhere. Is the Smithsonian in your neighborhood?