Over four days in October, 137 Affiliate colleagues from 85 Affiliate organizations attended the Smithsonian Affiliations National Conference. Participants from Affiliates and the Smithsonian shared stories of the program's impact across the country.
Looking to contact someone listed below? Contact Communications and Professional Development Manager, Elizabeth Bugbee, 202.633.5304.
2016 Agenda | (printable view)
2016 Conference photos
"Having learned what it means to be an Affiliate museum makes me feel proud and grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this terrific group of people and museums. I look forward to greater collaborations ahead and to contributing to the program in any way that I can."
~Susanna M. Brooks, Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, Washington
MONDAY, OCTOBER 17
Workshop 1: What's a Wikipedia Editathon?
- Effie Kapsalis, Head of Web and New Media, Smithsonian Institution Archives
- Sara Snyder, Chief, Media and Technology, Smithsonian American Art Museum
Workshop 2: Smithsonian Learning Lab
- Mariruth Leftwich, Education Manager, Senator John Heinz History Center
- Darren Milligan, Senior Digital Strategist, Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access
- Ashley Naranjo, Learning Initiatives Specialist, Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access
- Stephanie Norby, Director, Smithsonian Center for Learning and Digital Access
Affiliate Orientation: A Vision Shared
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18
Opening Session: Saluting our Past, Shaping our Future
CONCURRENT MORNING SESSIONS
Smithsonian Infusion: Success Stories for a More Engaged Community
If You Build It, Will They Come? Surprising Discoveries from Online Collection Projects
CONCURRENT AFTERNOON SESSIONS
Safe Spaces: What Does the Inclusive Museum Look Like?
Re-Boot, Re-Build, Re-Think Crowdfunding
- Jessica McNally, Director, Donor Relations, and Alison Mitchell, Public Affairs Specialist, National Air and Space Museum
- Charity Smith, Graduate Assistant, Cummings Center for the History of Psychology
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19
CONCURRENT AFTERNOON SESSIONS
Examples from the Field: Unlock the Potential of Citizen Science
- Nicole Garneau, Curator and Chair, Health Sciences Department, Denver Museum of Nature and Science
- Christine Goforth, Head, Citizen Science, North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
- Tony Thomas, Education Program Coordinator, Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum
Not Growing Your Membership Fast Enough? Here's Why!
- Moderator: Christina DiMeglio Lopez, External Affairs and Advancement Manager, Smithsonian Affiliations
- Erica Griffin, Director of Annual Fund and Membership, DuSable Museum of African American History
- Jessica Harrington, President, The Harrington Agency
- Tracy Lea, Vice President, The Harrington Agency
- Amber Phifer, Advancement Relations & Membership Manager, UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures
STEMulating the Humanities
Museum Day Mobilization: Strategic Partnerships for Enhanced Programming
Smithsonian Advancement Academy Win Donors and Supporters with Winning Words
- Polly Thompson, Partner, Advantage Performance Group
- Darlene Coker, Consultant, Advantage Performance Group